The UVA Research Park represents an evolution in development planning, uniting the harmony and community of Jefferson’s Academical Village with a fully functioning office and research environment.
The Park is a 562-acre, 3.7million square-foot, fully master planned, mixed-use development zoned for office, light industry, hotel/conference center, laboratory/medical/pharmaceutical, and retail/support commercial uses. In designing the Park, the Foundation developed plans for a people-oriented corporate village to meet the needs of today’s and tomorrow’s businesses in a setting of unmatched natural beauty.
The mission of the University of Virginia Research Parks is to provide state-of-the-art facilities that serve as a catalyst for the creation and enhancement of research and business collaboration between the University of Virginia and the public and private sectors, for the economic and societal benefit of the Commonwealth of Virginia, the Central Virginia region and the nation.
This Research Park mission is validated by:
- Creating faculty and student research projects in partnership with research park entities.
- Fostering and enhancing reciprocal consulting opportunities benefiting University faculty as well as researcher park tenants.
- Building wet labs, SCIF space, and other facilities to accommodate desirable industry and government partners and encourage collaboration with UVA.
- Establishing joint venture business opportunities and technology transfer between the University, its faculty and students and research park entities.
- Providing exciting employment opportunities for University of Virginia students and members of the Central Virginia community, in the process providing economic stimulus to the area.
- Serving as a recruiting and retention tool for key University faculty by providing cutting-edge research possibilities for faculty and employment opportunities for faculty partners.