Local STEM Program Seeks Corporate Partners
A local youth STEM program is seeking industry partners in support of the Charlottesville City School’s proposal to the Department of Labor for $2 million from the Youth CareerConnect grant program to support internships for high school students with an emphasis on advanced manufacturing. The proposal is part of an existing partnership (Laboratory School for Advanced Manufacturing) between UVA’s School of Engineering and Curry School of Education, and the Charlottesville and Albemarle Public School Systems, a relationship that has garnered significant attention from the National Science Foundation and the Smithsonian.
The program is looking for corporate partners interested in helping develop and sustain career-focused curriculum and create strong career pathways for program participants upon program completion. Adding to the existing partnership between UVA and Charlottesville City Schools will enrich and extend the relevance and the reach of the program being established.
Because industry needs can change rather quickly, partners are asked to commit to providing some of the following, utilizing this form letter:
- Ongoing technical assistance, including active participation on an advisory board
- Assistance in the development and sustainability of career-focused curriculum and program activities that will create strong career pathways for program participants upon program completion
- Identification of specific activities that will ensure program staff development and curriculum development meet the goals of their corporation
Letters should also address the following, as appropriate:
- Identification of resources committed to this program
- Any work-based learning opportunities partners can provide program participants. Including, but are not limited to:
- A combination of internship opportunities, pre-apprenticeship opportunities, registered apprenticeship opportunities, job shadowing and career awareness activities that directly relate to the curriculum;
- Participation in an employer-based mentoring program;
- Assistance in assessing the progress of students on workplace competencies
The deadline for the proposal is before Christmas. Questions can be directed to:
Professor & Chair, UVA Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
firstname.lastname@example.org | 434.924.7422